Remember These Ingredients to Avoid in Skincare Products
A List of Ingredients to Avoid in Skincare and What to Look for Instead
Having the right skincare routine is essential for a healthy, glowing complexion. But what actually makes a skincare product good for your skin? Start by taking a look at that long ingredient list. We’ll bet you don’t know more than half of what’s on it—that’s why we’re sharing this list of ingredients to avoid in skincare and what you should want instead.
Avoid These Ingredients
- Parabens. While parabens (methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, and ethylparaben) are used to increase a products’ longevity, they can actually disrupt hormone levels.
- Phthalates. Phthalates are used to make long-lasting scents. While some say they aren’t the worst thing, they can still interfere with hormone levels. It’s best not to risk it!
- Formaldehyde. Yes, that chemical used to preserve dead animals—yikes! In skincare, it’s used to prevent the growth of bacteria. However, it can severely irritate and damage skin. Avoid at all costs!
- BHT. Like parabens, BHT can increase a product’s shelf life. But this synthetic antioxidant can also cause some serious hormone disruption.
Look for These Ingredients Instead
- Cherimoya fruit. This heart-shaped plant native to Central and South America is known for its effective adaptogenic abilities to support healthy skin.
- Vitamins C and E. These antioxidants will help even your skin tone for a radiant glow and protect your skin from free radicals.
- Nutritional oils. A blend of nutritional oils, such as Jojoba Oil, Squalene, and Shea Butter, can improve long-term moisturize levels in your skin.
- Hyaluronic acid. This acid isn’t scary at all! It actually occurs naturally in the skin. By choosing a product with an extra boost of hyaluronic acid, you’ll protect collagen and elastin fibers and hydrate the skin from the inside out.
Instead of reading through every product’s ingredient list—shop June’s Moon. Our skincare line has all of the ingredients listed above, so you won’t have to search far for your new favorite facial cleanser or moisturizer.